Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Mouse Did It.

It’s no big surprise that I don’t like mice.


Ok. Here’s the story of today:


I woke up early, got ready, ate breakfast, cleaned my room, and registered for classes. All before my 8:30am class! I got all the classes I needed without any problems. Woo-hoo!!!


And there was sunshine and blue sky this morning. I almost grabbed my sunglasses before heading over to Sweeting. :)


Class: With black tea and a good attitude, I went to Bible Intro. It seems like I writing about this class a lot, but I really don’t! We started class with a “what else can go wrong” story. Hearing about the insanity of Bobby’s cross country trip and all the things that went wrong in the 14 hours made me think of my past 14 days. I haven’t had control of most of the things that have gone on and I’ve just had to go with it. I’ve worked REALLY hard to stay focused on God and to maintain the God given joy and peace I’ve had. I can’t control the situation, but I can control my attitude and my response to it. What a concept. It’s one of those things that I know, but that I sometimes struggle living out.


Chapel: We sang Inside Out. I know it’s an overplayed worship song, but I still love the lyrics. While we were singing I was thinking about the past few weeks and how much I’ve learned about surrendering (that’ll be the next blogpost). We went from singing Inside Out to I Surrender All. I laughed a little as the words appeared on the screen... “...all to Jesus I surrender. I surrender all...”.


Meeting: The people in the PCM department aren’t scary, they're actually kind of helpful! But they can be a little intimidating when things are wrong. Lots of questions and answers and my refusal to go to PCM tonight made for an oh-so-fun meeting. I was calm though. A few problems were unearthed and telling higher authority was the right thing to do. Even though it opened a can of worms. Or 3.


Lunch: Taco Tuesday. I don’t really like tacos. Which probably isn’t a big surprise since I don’t really like beef. I had a really good and much needed conversation with a friend though, so it was worth it.


Meeting: PCM meeting with my partner. It was more of a “duh, we’re still friends” but “that really was crappy” kind of a conversation. The whole situation is moving forward, but the nasty can of worms is not yet closed.


MOUSE: I walked into my room, grabbed something off my bed, and turned around in time to see a little light brown mouse run across the floor. I screamed and jumped onto the other bed in the room. The mouse obviously sprinted as I was standing on the bed screaming. I crumbled to my knees and cried. The peace and calmness that I’ve had for the past few weeks felt like it was gone. That stupid mouse! After a few minutes I was still shaken up over the little rodent, but my hysterical moment was over and I was okay.


Sweeting: I talked to Annie for a few minutes before my class. I explained the whole thing. All the stuff about PCM, registration, and everything else. Totally fine. Until I got to the mouse. Then I wanted to cry again. Over a mouse.


Class: I love my Urban class. Maybe not so much the class, but the professor. I think that’s the theme of this semester. It’s the professors I like, not so much the actual classes they’re teaching. And I think that’s okay for this semester. Having M&M’s helped with the enjoyment factor of class. Craigen also let us out 30 minutes early. Life happens, and it’s been happening a lot lately, and Craigen is someone who understands that and is gracious within it. We’re real people with real problems and real emotions and he’s someone who’s good at teaching us through these hard circumstances.


Here’s Yesterday:

-My Fiction Writing Class is just...evil. I’ve put countless hours into this class and to no avail.

-Academic Records messed up SO badly. I could have been done at Moody in 3 years instead of 4. But no, thanks to a careless mistake.

-PCM - It's a mess.

-My Founder’s Week form was lost so I’m on “chapel probation” until it gets resolved.

-And I haven’t been sleeping well for the past 2 weeks.


I made it through all that just fine. I worked really hard to trust God and to stay on top of the anxiety related to everything. And for the most part, I did it!


And then the mouse. The stupid, stupid mouse.


One little insignificant event caused a meltdown. However, a mouse can't ruin my day - I won't let it. A mouse can't steal my peace and joy - it’s just a mouse. And God is bigger than any mouse...and any other situation that I'm throw into.



When peace like a river attendeth my way

When sorrows like sea billows roll

Whatever my lot Thou has taught me to say

It is well, it is well, with my soul.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed our coffee date last week, Andrea! Maybe that mouse will migrate to the other side of the hall. :)

    ReplyDelete