Thursday, March 31, 2011

Welcome to my latest disaster...

I’m seriously considering retitling my blog: Welcome to My Latest Disaster. Sometimes it just seems fitting.


This particular disaster was sharp and sticky. It involved lemons, sugar, water, and a glass pitcher. And the whole thing violently smashing into the floor.


Backstory: I was home on spring break last week. Robert was home on spring break, too. Being separated by 2,200 miles on any normal day, the few days we get to spend together are packed full of adventures.


More Backstory: I have a few food allergies - soy, lactose, and pork. Eating at restaurants makes me a nervous because I don’t always know what’s in the food or if it’s been cooked with something I can’t eat. I’m a little paranoid about this whole area of my life right now and it’s something that I just have to work through.


All that said, a picnic seemed like a great idea! I knew exactly what was in my food AND I would get to spend time with Robert. I planned lunch and was excited to have my mom’s help in getting it ready. It was going to be great!


Until...I pulled the glass pitcher of lemonade out of the refrigerator. It slipped out of my hand and collided with the hardwood floor. The thick glass instantly shattered and sent the sugary liquid splattering ALL over the kitchen and dining room floor. It shattered and I froze. I wasn’t wearing shoes when I dropped the pitcher and was stranded in the middle of my mess. My mom was in the other room and came running when she heard the crash. Without saying anything, I just stood there in my sticky mess.


Once my mom cleaned up enough of the mess to let me escape, I left to clean my feet off and to get shoes on. My mom and I then went to work picking up the larger pieces of glass. It was at that point Robert got there. My mom continued to clean up the mess and we all had to stay out of the kitchen in order to keep the mess from being tracked throughout the rest of the house.


Cleaned up and ready for our picnic, I bravely ventured into the garage to pull out my purple picnic blanket. But it was nowhere to be found! So I settled on a murky brown one. I was bringing it into the house when I noticed something crawling on it. I screamed, dropped the blanket, ran inside, and slammed the door.


Dude. Really? A massive cockroach? After the lemonade incident.


I promise, I had GREAT intentions for this picnic! I was organized and ready and really excited about it. And then it just didn’t work right. However, we eventually had our modified picnic and thoroughly enjoyed it!



I ran across this quote a few days ago...


A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault.

-John Henry Newman



I’m glad I have the rest of my life to practice going on picnics. Because apparently I need it! But at the same time, if I ONLY did things I knew I could do outstandingly, well, I just wouldn’t do too much. I’m glad I’m surrounded by people that are ok if I occasionally make a mess out of situation.


I’m learning. And I’m learning that I’m learning. And I’m learning that it’s ok to be learning!

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I needed that quote today. I'm glad that the picnic was, in the end, a success!

    ReplyDelete