Sunday, March 6, 2011

Intense Accuracy

I like accuracy. I like consistency. I like intentionality.


I’m double majoring in Bible and Communications at Moody. I love to write and particularly enjoy journalism. Interviewing people, researching a situation, and then verifying the facts I’ve collected are within my sphere of interest. When working on an article, I want to be accurate - I don't want lies to be printed and read, whether intentional or not. Truth is something I crave in a situation.


I also love studying the Bible. It’s something that is much more complex and challenging than I ever thought it could be. In one of my classes, we’re looking at the transmission of the Bible. My favorite part of this class is the repetitive proof that the Bible is true.



I found this absolutely fascinating:

Guidelines for Ensuring Accuracy During Transmission…

*spacing – each column had between 48 and 60 lines with 30 letters per line

*memory – recording from memory was not allowed

*observation – letter by letter was looked at and copied

*pronunciation – a scribe pronounced each word as he wrote it

*review – the manuscript was looked over within a month

*count – each letter had to be counted

*middle letter – the middle letter of each book was identified

*errors – if 3 mistakes were found, the manuscript was destroyed



Not only is the Bible unchanging, but God is as well. He is steady, faithful, and constant.




And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.

Psalm 12:6


As for God, his way is perfect; the LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.

Psalm 18:30


The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statues of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.

Psalm 19:7-9


For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.

Psalm 33:4


But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever.

Psalm 52:8




God is constant. His Word is consistent. His characteristics are sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment