Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1oo Things I'm Thankful For (1-10)

It’s November and Thanksgiving will quickly be here.

During the Women’s Ministry meeting this evening, I was reminded that I have countless things to be thankful for. So throughout November I’ll be writing about things I’m thankful for. Some big and some little.

1. Acoustic Albums. Who doesn’t love a good acoustic set? I’m currently a huge fan of JJ Heller and Brooke Fraser.
2. Long Walks. I love walking through Chicago on warm evenings. The skyline is beautiful!
3. Photoshop. I learn something new each time I use it!
4. Tomatoes. Specifically cherry tomatoes.
5. Waterproof Mascara. Necessary for rainstorms, running through sprinklers, and rough days.
6. Sunshine. Even when it’s cooler outside, blue sky and sunshine will undoubtedly make me happy.
7. Texting. Maybe I’m just lazy, but I really enjoy how convenient texting is.
8. Organization. I’m all for sticky notes, file folders, lists, binders, and labels.
9. Opinions. I love hearing the opinions of others more than expressing my own...
10. Teachers.

The handful of “teachers” that came to mind were Danny, Bobby, Tom, Rusty, Craigen, Nate, and Eric. However, Bobby and Craigen are the only professors I’ve had an actual class with, well numerous classes. I think I’m at 9?

Danny’s like an annoying older brother that I didn’t grow up with. He’s full of wisdom, is good at giving advice without being condescending, and I can’t remember a time that I’ve spent with him that I haven’t laughed!

The Bible classes I took with Bobby taught me to value God’s Word and to be excited and intentional about studying it, even the tedious genealogies and other seemingly boring parts. And he’s just a super awesome professor with two wonderful kids!

While I’m not a big fan of the couch in Tom’s office, I’m always grateful for his understanding and encouragement with my “in-process” life. And Alicia and I just really enjoy making fun of him (all in love, of course). After all, isn't that what youth pastors are for?! :)

Having Rusty in my life is like having a cool and compassionate rockstar dad. He’s taught me some sweet things on guitar and has also been an example of how to humbly serve God through music while on stage.

Through my Urban Ministry classes with Craigen, I gained a different and more accurate perspective of the world. I’ve realized that it’s not all about me and have cultivated a desire to love and serve forgotten people.

Nate is genuine and discerning and I value his honesty and openness. He also killed a spider on the stage one evening for me at rehearsal, thus making him a lifelong hero!

Eric is another wise person in my life. I think him and his wife, Jodi, must be undercover rockstars. Over the past 5 years I’ve had the privilege of learning a lot about music and seeing firsthand that coffee is an essential part of ministry from him. Not to mention the random conversations that happened frequently this past summer and the practicality of the advice he gave.


So there you have it! I'm really thankful for the teachers in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment