Friday, April 8, 2011

Good Grief!

It’s been a long week. And a sad one, at that. Death is something that’s hard for me to process, especially being so far away from everyone close to the loved one who passed away.


Although it’s been sad, there have been many happy and hopeful moments this week as well. I had 5 class cancelled this past week and the professors of both my Tuesday/Thursday classes let us out early! Having some extra time to think, as well as sleep, was greatly appreciated. And I got to spend extra time with some good friends.



Super early this morning I woke up thinking about a verse, but I couldn’t remember the exact words or where it was. At breakfast this morning, Allie and I flipped through the book of Matthew and found it.


Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

-Matthew 5:4


How simple is that? Those who mourn will be comforted. SO much hope can be found in that sentence spoken by Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount.



Then in chapel today we sang a hymn I had never heard before. Which is no big surprise; I don’t know very many hymns because we typically sing the same handful of ones over and over. Anyways, there was a line in the first stanza that caught my attention...


Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul

by Kevin Twit


Dear refuge of my weary soul,

On Thee, when sorrows rise

On Thee, when waves of trouble roll,

My fainting hope relies

To Thee I tell each rising grief,

For Thou alone canst heal

Thy Word can bring a sweet relief,

For every pain I feel


But oh! When gloomy doubts prevail,

I fear to call Thee mine

The springs of comfort seem to fail,

And all my hopes decline

Yet gracious God, where shall I flee?

Thou art my only trust

And still my soul would cleave to Thee

Though prostrate in the dust


Hast Thou not bid me seek Thy face,

And shall I seek in vain?

And can the ear of sovereign grace,

Be deaf when I complain?
No still the ear of sovereign grace,
Attends the mourner’s prayer

Oh may I ever find access,

To breathe my sorrows there


Thy mercy seat is open still,

Here let my soul retreat

With humble hope attend Thy will,

And wait beneath Thy feet,

Thy mercy seat is open still,

Here let my soul retreat

WIth humble hope attend Thy will,

And wait beneath Thy feet

No comments:

Post a Comment