Monday, February 14, 2011

Don't Ask. I Won't Tell.

Today is one of those “don’t ask me how I’m doing if you don’t want to know” kind of days. It didn’t start out that way. Well, actually it did.


I stepped on a piece of glass this morning and had to have it excavated from the bottom of my foot. The entire process was painful.


I found out that a friend has cancer.


I loath Fiction Writing. I’ve been working really hard on my story and it’s still not going very well. My rough draft was due today, but I didn’t get it done. I know it wasn’t supposed to be a final copy, but I didn’t even finish the story. It doesn’t have an ending yet. (I’m considering modeling Shakespeare and having a tragic ending where everyone dies.) I brought it to class incomplete for the feed back and ideas of my classmates - that’s how Comm writing classes work. All that said, I couldn’t be in class today without it complete so I was asked to leave. In our short one-on-one meetings with the professor, I sat and cried. I’m one of those people who thrives on accuracy, details, and a plan. Making up a story and keeping it consistent is a challenge for me because there’s nothing to go off of. I love doing research and interviewing people. I have facts and numbers and ways to verify that they are true. But in writing my own story, I decide what’s true and how my characters will react. Needless to say, it’s frustrating for me. Frustrating to the point of tears. And may I just say, that doesn’t happen very often.




Today wasn’t completely miserable though, so since I wrote about 3 negative things, here are 5 positive things of today:


1. I had some time to play guitar

2. I wore my favorite rockstar bracelet today

3. It was warm enough to wear my favorite shoes

4. Ice Cream made from coconut milk is a tasty soy/dairy-free treat

5. God is constant when I’m a disaster. And when I’m not a disaster.



No comments:

Post a Comment