Saturday, December 1, 2012

it's the most wonderful time of the year!

But is it really?

I'm frustrated with my job today so bear with me.

I work in an unusual retail job. It's retail because it's sales, but it's one-on-one sales. It's more like direct sales done out of a store. I know those two things contradict themselves, but that's just what it is.

Anyways, this past month I've spent a lot of time doing annoying tasks. Like untangling jewelry, making phone calls to people who's jewelry is broken or tarnished and can't be fixed, organizing the back stock, and other tedious tasks that shouldn't be my sole responsibility. And I went from working 25 hours a week on 5 hour shifts to working 40+ hours a week on 8 hour shifts with the new and annoying holiday hires*.

I've seen Santa Claus and Christmas trees and decorations ever day since Halloween and I've been listening to the same cheesy Christmas playlist since the arrival of Santa.

I have nothing against Christmas or my job, but I don't think working retail during this season makes this "the most wonderful time of the year". It's commercialized and so far from what it should be. The awe and wonder has been replaced with greed and impatience.


*They're not all annoying. Just two in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment