Wednesday, November 21, 2012

cutting corners

Today at work I spent two hours cleaning up a mess made by someone else. It was a mess that shouldn't have happened in the first place. It was a mess that happened because someone hurried through their work and tried to cut corners. 

I got to work and my manager didn't look happy. 

"Andrea, I know you didn't make this mess, but I need you to untangle all this jewelry for me."

There were piles and piles of necklaces that needed to be untangled. They shouldn't have ever gotten that messy in the first place, but since they had, it had to be fixed.

I went to work and about two hours later had detangled close to 100 necklaces from each other and had them all carefully laid out and organized on trays.

The jewelry was nice and neat, but I was so annoyed and tense. 


I knew who made the mess and how it happened. 
I knew that she rushed through the task.
I knew she intentionally cut corners to get it done faster.
I knew she lied about it.
I knew that she didn't really care.

 And knowing that she didn't care annoyed me! Sure, it's a part time retail job, but it's still something to do well!


"It is worth it to live our lives well."
"If better is possible, then good is not enough."

I have those two quotes on the notepad app in my phone. I see them periodically and am reminded to do the best I can in everything, whether it seems important or not.

I guess I should also add a quote about not getting annoyed with people because they're not as much as a perfectionist as I am. 


Whatever you do, do your work heartily as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. - Colossians 3:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment