Sunday, July 15, 2012

Unexpected ER Trip

I guess most trips to the emergency room are unexpected, now that I think about it. I've never scheduled a time to go there.


I went to Kaiser's emergency room in Antioch late Saturday afternoon and was released later that night. I'm ok - it was a strange combo of low blood sugar, vertigo, and a crohn's flareup. After lots of fluids via IV, the doctor gave me anti-inflammatory meds, antibiotics, probiotic so the antibiotics wouldn't make me sick, and valium for the flareup. Then he gave me anti-nausea meds and anti-dizzy meds for the vertigo. And then something else for the low blood sugar. He ended it all with a dose of benadryl just in case my body reacted poorly to one of the many things injected into my blood stream. The combo of all the meds made me exhausted so I slept through most of it being administered.

Around 10:30pm I was released to go home. The doctor came back into the room and excused my parents before waking me up. He explained what had happened inside of me and how to prevent it from happening again. We talked for about 10 minutes before the nurse came in and took the IV out. Then I got to go home!


Gross highlight of the night: it's really hard to pee in a cup when you're super dizzy.
Funny highlight of the night: my mom asked the doctor if he was trying to mimic Bieber's hairstyle. I though it was funny, the doctor didn't.


I slept through most of today. Alicia came by for a quick visit and brought me tortilla chips and sprite and then I went to my neighbor's house for about 15 minutes.

At this point, I'm just recovering from all the different medicines given to me. I didn't get nearly as sick from all the meds this time as I did last time I was treated for crohn's intravenously.


I missed Kirsten's wedding because of the emergency room ordeal last night. We've known each other since 3rd grade and she's one of my best friends. Luckily, her parents live next door to my family so she was there this evening. My mom and I went over for a little while and got to chat with them all. I got a sneak peek at some wedding photos and got to sign the guest book. And she saved me a cupcake and some potato salad! 


In the midst of all the chaos, there was much to be thankful for, though. My parents were at the wedding in Brentwood when I got really sick, but my Aunt and Uncle who live 10 minutes away were able to take me to the hospital. My parents met us there. The Emergency Room was also fairly empty. After checking in, I only had to wait for a few minutes before I was assigned a room. The doctor helping me was gentle and kept me calm. And my parents handled this emergency room trip much better than my last one! Getting to spend some time with Kirsten this evening also made me feel better. 

Thank you, God, for the positive little reminders that You're still in charge and that You're good in the midst of pain and chaos.

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I'm praying for you. I'm sad we haven't Skyped yet. I'll get it together soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you. so much. and i'm praying for you too.

    ReplyDelete