Thursday, June 30, 2011

But for now, just let me be...

I flew from Chicago to California the second week in May and jumped into a wonderful sermon series at Cedar Grove. Oasis in the Wilderness: Finding Light in the Darkness. Pastor Keith taught from Exodus 2:11-24 that Sunday and I took lots of notes knowing that I would refer to them later. Well, today was later.

1. Who turned out the lights? The party wasn’t supposed to be over!
-You can be living in a wonderful situation, but still mentally be in the wilderness.
-Lament, sorrow, grief
-When I’m in the wilderness, I just want to get out.

2. Where can I find some hope again? Let the healing begin!
-There is purpose of being in the wilderness.
-In the wilderness God desires intimacy.

Exodus 7:16 - And you shall say to him, The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, sent me to you, saying, “Let my people go, that they may serve me in the wilderness. But so far, you have not obeyed.”

Hosea 2:14, 15 - “Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.”

Hosea 13:5 - “It was I who knew you in the wilderness, in the land of drought...”

-If you find yourself in the wilderness, God is trying to speak to you, to draw you close to Him.

3. What about the dreams? Where is God?
-God is on the throne working out His plans. As always.
-Surrender to God.

Pastor Keith closed the sermon with a time of reflection.
What is your wilderness? My wilderness is:

Lonely. Empty. Unsatisfying. Cold. Gloomy. Dark. Unrelenting. Condemning. Heavy. Angry. Tearful.

In your wilderness:
Be still and know that I AM God. -Psalm 46:10
Look for God in your wilderness. He IS there.

I'm looking for God in my wilderness. I know that He is here.

Show Me
by Audrey Assad

(verse 1)
You could plant me like a tree beside a river
You could tangle me in soil and let my roots run wild
And I would blossom like a flower in the desert
But for now just let me cry
(verse 2)
You could raise me like a banner in a battle
Put victory like a fire behind my shining eyes
And I would drift like falling snow over the embers
But for now just let me lie
(chorus)
Bind up these broken bones
Mercy bend and breathe me back to life
But not before You show me how to die
(verse 3)
Set me like a star before the morning
Like a song that steals the darkness from a world asleep
And I'll illuminate the path You've laid before me
But for now just let me be
(verse 4)
So let me go like a leaf upon the water
Let me brave the wild currents flowing to the sea
And I will disappear into a deeper beauty
But for now just stay with me

God, for now just stay with me

1 comment:

  1. This was such a great series! So glad you took notes and shared them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete