Friday, March 2, 2012

Perfection: my simple request

I’m a little bit of a perfectionist. I want perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. And I want it now.

I got sick last Sunday afternoon and my projected schedule for the week was seriously scrambled. When I get sick, I go all out. I rarely get a 24-hour flu or a mild cold that goes away in a few days. I get pneumonia or malaria or a serious infection or mono. On Monday morning, I had a fever of 101.1 and my lower right side was hurting horribly. I went to Moody’s Health Services and was able to see a doctor right away. After being diagnosed with appendicitis for the second time in my life, I got a little impatient. Long story short, it’s not my appendix (for the second time). There’s scarring inside of a portion of my large intestine and sometimes it gets aggravated - this time it just happened to be significantly more painful than it had been in the past. The inflammation in the scarred area made digesting anything other than liquids a hellish experience.

Because of all that, I didn’t get my perfect week. I got one full of gatorade, rice milk smoothies, pain killer, and sleeping. I didn’t go to all my classes. I didn’t get all my homework done. I didn’t do everything (newspaper, yearbook, website, 2 midterms) to the standard I wanted to. Far from perfect.


I want perfect. And I can’t have it. Thankfully. A perfect world wouldn’t need a Savior. Weeks like this past one remind me that I'm an imperfect girl who serves a perfect God.



He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11



Sidebar: For the record, my room is an absolute disaster and I’ve almost chopped my hair off a few times this week. (I even pinned a few short hairstyles on pinterest - so you know it’s serious.) I’m a little bit of a mess. Spring break needs to get here soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you would look amazing with short hair. Your sickness sounds very painful! It must be stressful to have that happen in the middle of a busy semester. I hope that this next week is better, and that you never have to drink Gatorade again. :) By the way, I love that this post's two labels are "mess" and "perfection." Why do they always have to meet?!

    ReplyDelete