Saturday, July 23, 2011

Patience Required. Officially.

Before I started dating Robert, I was told by a friend that my forgiveness had to be endless and that Robert’s patience had to be unrelenting.


We’re both easy-going and even-tempered people, so I thought it would be no problem whatsoever. I couldn’t require that much patience and Robert couldn’t require too much forgiveness. Right?


I wrong. Apparently I require patience. And a lot of it.



So this one time...


We drove to the San Francisco Airport to pick up two friends and drove their car. I let my anxiety win that evening. I panicked about being too early or late. I panicked about getting lost on the way. I panicked about...everything. And that all happened before the car battery died! We finally made it to the airport and I was so relieved that Danny was taking over the driving. Robert and I sat in the back while Danny drove and Kendra was in the passenger seat. I fell asleep on Robert’s shoulder before we got to the freeway and don’t remember any of the drive home. Apparently they all had a lovely conversation. Without me. But Robert was patient.


Last summer I spent many hours working on my photography portfolio. I retook a few pictures numerous times. And Robert looked over and critiqued the pictures who knows how many times as I was striving to make each one absolutely perfect. I couldn’t find perfection, but found frustration. But Robert was patient.


In December I got sick and almost had my appendix taken out. I couldn’t do a whole lot and was fairly helpless for a few weeks. In between trips to the hospital, I mainly just slept and watched movies. Robert was with me for a lot of that time. And I wasn’t too much fun to be around. I was in a lot of pain with any prescription painkiller to help. But Robert was patient.


I dragged Robert to the 4th of July Parade in Alameda (and now owe him a lifetime supply of lemon bars...ha ha) and we had a hectic morning/afternoon of driving around, taking pictures, babysitting, and chauffeuring the director of the parade. I had a blast! But my responsibility was for Trina and taking pictures. Robert had to keep track of all of us as well as not run over people in the golf cart. But Robert was patient.



And on a more regular basis...


There are numerous days when I can’t decide what to wear and I’m late for things or end up making him wait for me.


Although I can write out my thoughts and feelings quite easily, I can’t always find the courage or accurate words when speaking to describe what’s going on inside my head. We've often sat in silence as I'm frantically searching my brain for the right words.


Generally speaking, I’m not a cuddly person and there are days/moments when I just don’t want to be within 3 feet of anyone. Even Robert. (Physical touch is not my love language.)



And this only scratches the surface of how much patience he’s had with me...



All that said, my initial reaction to the first statement has evolved a little over time...we’re both easy-going (Robert so much more than me), but I do require patience. And a lot of it! Officially.



AND, we (eventually) went to Santa Cruz today! Here are a few pictures...



1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Andrea! Patience is so tough when trying to reflect God's image! A good reminder, especially while being in the Middle-East. Keep up the posts and the reflecting Godly character!

    ReplyDelete