Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Used to You.


Since the day I stepped on campus I’ve been told that at some point during my time at Moody, the Bible would be feel like an overused textbook. Upperclassmen warned me about getting burned out, tired, discouraged, confused, bored, cynical, and negative. I didn’t pay much attention to the warnings - they didn’t seem possible. I was excited to be here and excited to learn.


Last semester was the first time that I struggled a little with the Bible becoming a textbook. Thankfully, my professors were awesome and were continually pulling practical application from the books and verses we were spending months on end studying. It made what we were studying relevant and interesting. There was so much more to learn than just the surface level stuff; I eventually realized it was hard to get bored while studying the Bible.


As unexcited as I am to be taking a few first year classes this semester, I think it’s going to be a sweet reminder of why I’m at Moody. Christian Missions, Bible Intro, and Understanding the City won’t be the hardest classes to survive this semester (with the exception of the early morning part of the first two), but they’ll be challenging in a different way - to bring me back to why I’m here.


Why am I here?


I want to love God. I want to know God. I want to share God.


These straightforward, yet lifelong goals are easy to forget.


I don’t want God and His Word to become monotonous and unimportant. I don’t want to take His sacrifice and love lightly. It’s way too life-changing to just blow it off!


How can something that’s completely changed my life become boring to me?




I think the lyrics of this song illustrate what I’m trying to say better than I can...


Used to You

by Jenn Weber


I get caught up in the good stuff in the way you fill my life

I guess it’s easy to forget every present has its price


One week in the rain, maybe I’ll appreciate the scent

Lord, your touch is so familiar that I worry I’m not sensitive now


I don’t ever want to get used to you

To make you a habit and take you for granted

I won’t let Your love grow old to me, cold to me

I’ve loved you so long and I don’t ever want to get used to You


Any mystery is a thrill until you know just how it ends

Every first kiss leaves you dreaming on the brink of new romance


You’re so comfortable, maybe I’m too casual with You

This time I’m so determined to be thankful for the little things You do


You’re the love that I’m living for

I love You though I know You more

Everyday I love You more, forever

1 comment: