Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dear Diary... written on January 18, 2009


Dear Diary,

I was simply satisfied silly!

Music has such a special place in my life, therefore, playing guitar and occasionally singing on worship team is also very special. Especially the Sunday mornings when the stage doesn’t seem like a stage –
the mornings that smiling comes naturally. I had that experience a few weeks ago. And it had nothing to do with me, the pretty instrument I was playing, the people singing, the musicians, the songs, the cute outfit, the stage, the friendly atmosphere, or the congregation. It was all about God, specifically, being satisfied with Him.

It all started about a week earlier…

Saturday was the official reuniting of two best friends. Alicia and I hadn’t seen each other since the end of summer when we both went away to school. Our reunion was a loud and chaotic event that only we could pull off… After the screaming ended, we got in my car and were off on another adventure. Our adventures typically follow the same general plan: lots of talking and giggling, getting lost, trying on strange clothes, taking pictures, and singing. This outing was no different,
but the giggling was at an all time high. On our way back home, we decided that it would probably be good if we practiced our song for Sunday. We rocked out to BarlowGirl’s “Psalm 73” numerous times and fell in love with it more each time. Our normal routine of getting lost on the way home took longer than usual, which was fine. After all, we had a song to learn!

Practice on Tuesday night was full of giggling, second thoughts, strange communication methods, explanations, and smiles. Along with microphones, electric guitars, powerful lyrics, and challenging harmonies. The third time we ran through our song was when it melded into place. The intensity behind the music and the power behind the words caught me off guard. I sang the last three words solo, “enough for me”, and
something started sinking in, but I didn’t know what. I closed my eyes and took a step back from the microphone trying to understand the thoughts sprinting through my head somehow connecting to my heart. All too quickly the moment was over so I traded the electric for an acoustic and poured all I had into practice. When we were done, I packed up my stuff and waited patiently for Rusty to be ready to go to our cars. Chatting and laughing on the way out to the parking lot was such a normal routine…a much cherished and missed time. It’s little and simple things that I love and seem to hold on to.

Sunday morning was full of mixed emotions. The stressful moments from the week weren’t supposed to linger throughout the weekend, but they did. I was ready and confident, but very distracted. I couldn’t focus on God or worshiping Him. Our morning run through of the songs went as planned and we had a few minutes of “backstage time” before the service started.

After a silly discussion (well, an all out debate) on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, we were ready to go! With a smile, I walked up to the front corner of the stage, picked up the Fender, and stepped up to the microphone. I looked back at Jacob for the stick count in, took a step back, and started playing. Any nervousness I had melted away when I looked and saw Trina waving to me. And, at some point during all of that, Alicia and I made eye contact…

“I’ve had enough of living life for only me...”

I love that moment in worship where
preparation meets passion. All the time spent singing through harmonies and learning new chords was paying off…my focus was shifting from me to God.

“Who have I in heaven but You? Nothing I desire on earth but You. My heart may fail but not You. You are mine forever.”

You are mine forever. Eric was supposed to sing that alone, but I jumped in and sang it, too. I’ll never fully comprehend what “You are mine forever” means, but I’m beginning to realize that it’s special. Forever is a long time.

“My God’s enough for me; this world has nothing I need. In this whole life I’ve seen my God’s enough, enough for me.”

I don’t know how many times I had listened to that song in the past few months, but the words finally broke through and saturated my heart. And I realize now that the events leading up to the few minutes singing this song all played into the importance of it…all the giggling, late night conversations, strange emotions, hours of practicing…

This world has nothing I need.
My God’s enough for me.

His Beloved Child,
Andrea Rose
P.S. The picture was drawn by Alicia : )

No comments:

Post a Comment