Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day


I realize Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland is only a myth, but this just made me laugh regardless.

I don't drink beer (I'm gluten-free and don't even like the smell of it), leprechauns creep me out, I don't like corned beef and cabbage, and I don't believe in luck. I do like the color green though! One out of five isn't too bad, right?!

Saint Patrick is one of the most commonly recognized saints of Ireland. In the early seventeenth century, Saint Patrick's Day was declared to be an official Christian festival. Celebrations on this day celebrate the spread of Christianity, Ireland, and the Irish culture in general.

Patrick was born in Britain into a wealthy Roman British family. His father and grandfather were religious leaders in the Christian church. As a teenager, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken to Ireland as a slave. According to his Confession, in a dream God told him to flee from his captivity and go to the coast, where he was to board a boat and go back to Britain. He made it back home and joined the Chruch in Auxerre in Gaula, where he studied to be a priest. 

Once Patrick was trained as a priest, he was called back to Ireland.  According to legend, Patrick used the 3-leaved shamrock to explain the doctrine of Trinity to the Irish pagans. After nearly thirty years of evangelism to the Irish people, He died on March 17th of 461 A.D. Although there were other successful missionaries in Ireland, Patrick is the most esteemed in the Irish church.


No comments:

Post a Comment