Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oh no. (You never let go.)

My best friend is an emotional tackler. She hid it well for 20 years! One Sunday a few years ago before I went back to Chicago for the fall, we sang Matt Redman's song You Never Let Go. After the service, while we were still on the stage, Alicia started singing the song again. She wrapped her arms around me while singing "oh no you never let go". We somehow managed to topple down to the stairs leading off the stage before falling completely over. There was lots of laughing and probably a few tears as our high heels went everywhere. Our "hellos" and "see ya laters" were always (and will always be) loud and dramatic. This "see ya later" might have taken the cake though.

We sang that song this morning at church. During rehearsal on Tuesday night, those memories sprung back into my mind. It was happy and then sad, but then happy again.

Happy: I have the best best friend in the world. The memories of her tackling me make me laugh whenever I think about the ridiculousness of the scene. We've been friends since we were babies in the church nursery. I won't list all our memories and adventures because that would be an encyclopedia-lengthed book series. We're very different people, but at the end of the day, our hearts are on fire for the same thing and that's what fuels our friendship and gives it meaning.

Sad: I cringe at the words “never” and “forever”. I’ve been told too many times that “we’ll be friends forever” or “I’ll love you forever”. And then “forever” becomes a lot shorter than it should be. Or “I’ll never hurt you” or “that’ll never happen”. And then “never” becomes a little too frequent. There's a lingering shadow of fear with those words.


Happy: But then there’s God. His “forevers” and “nevers” mean just that. Guaranteed. He will never leave me. He will love me forever. I have to believe that and live within that promise. It's means replacing fear and hesitancy with confidence and joy in the constancy of God.


You Never Let Go

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won't turn back, I know you are near


And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?


(Chorus:)
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me


And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles but until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth

 
Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

No comments:

Post a Comment